Welcome to my garden blog. Winter months bring winter birds to the garden, spring brings renewal with bright colors and natures wondrous flowers, summer brings perennials that liven up the outdoors, while autumn gives us a harvest of homegrown veggies.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Making a Trellis Out Of Sunflower Stalks


Last years sunflowers left me with lots of stalks I just couldn't bare to get rid of. I left them harden outside all winter and spring and they were still in great condition as far as strength and durability! 
So I decided to make a trellis out of them.



I used twine to secure the sections. It was a tedious task, but I got it done. After all were secured, I took my little saw and cut off the sides to make them more even.



Here is my finished product. I secured them in the ground by pounding bamboo stakes in the ground ( I have plenty of them ) and then inserted the two bottom ends over the stakes (the centers are hollow of the sunflower stalks). 
There she stands in all her glory waiting for something to grow ( not the weed below it). I am thinking of getting some sunflowers (not mammoth) and plant them there to grow up in front of the trellis. 
I am not sure how sturdy or how long this trellis will last, but as long as it lasts this summer, I will be happy. My total cost for this my time only. The stalks -  leftover from sunflowers last year, the twine - in a garden cart given to me from my mother, the bamboo stakes - I have had many of these for years in my garden shed. 
I may try to secure the pieces even more, but then again, I might not as I like it the way it is. I want it to be as natural as possible. 

No comments: