Last years sunflowers left me with lots of stalks I just couldn't bare to get rid of. I left them harden outside all winter and spring and they were still in great condition as far as strength and durability!
So I decided to make a trellis out of them.
I used twine to secure the sections. It was a tedious task, but I got it done. After all were secured, I took my little saw and cut off the sides to make them more even.
Here is my finished product. I secured them in the ground by pounding bamboo stakes in the ground ( I have plenty of them ) and then inserted the two bottom ends over the stakes (the centers are hollow of the sunflower stalks).
There she stands in all her glory waiting for something to grow ( not the weed below it). I am thinking of getting some sunflowers (not mammoth) and plant them there to grow up in front of the trellis.
I am not sure how sturdy or how long this trellis will last, but as long as it lasts this summer, I will be happy. My total cost for this my time only. The stalks - leftover from sunflowers last year, the twine - in a garden cart given to me from my mother, the bamboo stakes - I have had many of these for years in my garden shed.
I may try to secure the pieces even more, but then again, I might not as I like it the way it is. I want it to be as natural as possible.